Deadlifts are for Women!
Why should you be doing deadlifts?
The deadlift is a highly inclusive resistance exercise. It works primarily your butt and back of your legs, but also works nearly every other muscle group in your body. This means you gain strength AND lose body fat quickly.
And the bonus for women? Deadlifts work the pelvis floor, which strengthen those muscles you use to control your bladder and sexual activity.
This exercise requires super good form to avoid injuries and isn’t meant for those with certain orthopedic and metabolic conditions. Check out this video for correct technique or get input from a certified personal trainer.
Some tips for the sumo deadlift from Nia Shanks :
- Have your feet wider than shoulder-width apart.
- Set up very close to the bar.
- Point your feet out at about 45 degree angles.
- Force your chest high to maintain the arch in your lower back.
- Do not try to “squat” the weight up. Your hips are higher on the sumo deadlift than they are on a squat.
- Keep the bar close to your body the entire time – it should run up your shins and then up your thighs.
- Near the top of the movement, push your hips forward to lock it out.