Contact Teresa for Personal Training or Small Group Training. Schedule a Training Consultation
I’m an agent of change, providing programs and coaching for those who desire better fitness. This includes those new or returning to exercise, older adults, busy moms, and those with arthritis, osteoporosis, shoulder or knee issues, metabolic syndrome, diabetes, and hypertension. As we age, we lose muscle — not because we are aging, but because we stopping moving. Change your lifestyle and you change your future!
IN HER OWN WORDS
TERESA HEITMAN, ACE-CPT
- Connect with Teresa on Linkedin
- Personal Trainer certified through the American Council on Exercise (ACE) 2013-2019
- BioForce Certified Conditioning Coach since 2017
- Therapeutic Exercise Specialist (ACE) since 2014
- Primal Health Coach Certification (Primal Blueprint) since 2016
- Primal Blueprint Certification (Primal Blueprint) since 2016
- Substitute Authorization K-12, State of Iowa 2015-2018
- Adult and Pediatric CPR/AED certification through the American Red Cross since 2011
- Adult and Pediatric First Aid certification through the American Red Cross since 2016
- Personal Trainer certified through the Aerobics and Fitness Association of America (AFAA) 2011-2015
- Opened New Moon Fitness in January 2013 with Shannon Price
- Teresa was the first active certified LES MILLS GRIT™ coach in Iowa, instructing the HIIT programs featuring Cardio, Plyometrics, and Strength-based workout
- Les Mills Born to Move™ certified 2013
- Les Mills GRIT™ certified 2012
Phone & Text: 319-325-4000
Small Group Training
Primal Lifestyle Coaching (WOMANSTRONG)
New Moon Fitness
Ketoholic: Research & Recipes
I worked as a web and database programmer for nearly fifteen years. I sat a desk 8-10 hours a day gaining weight and an unbalanced body. When I had my first child, I gained A LOT of weight. At 5′ 1″ tall and over 200 pounds, I found I knew a lot about exercising and athletics but not as much about weight loss.
I tried diets, from Atkins to vegan. I walked and started back playing racquetball. But I missed the ease of running up a flight of stairs or shooting hoops in my driveway. I wanted to bike and swim laps in my pool without hurting. I was at a dead end. I didn’t think I could afford a personal trainer. What I finally realized is no matter what, I would NOT be a fat mom who couldn’t play with her children, avoided stairs, had painful joints, and a risk of dying early from a heart attack.
Through a lifestyle change that included Primal (Paleo) principles, I regained my health. Now, I’m over 50 and stronger, more energetic, and leaner than I’ve ever been. I went Primal in 2010 and have never looked back.
How I Train Clients
This is YOUR work out. I’m here to guide and educate you as you work toward your goals.
- I plan out each session ahead of time (but modify as we go depending on how the exercises affect you).
- I record your exercises, progress, and events.
- I’m available for text questions throughout the week.
- I’m happy to accommodate schedule changes when work, family, or sickness requires.
- Clients often ask for work outs to do while they travel, so I will send interactive PDFs or print copies for use in hotels or resorts, with available equipment in mind.
- I also enjoy having clients bring their children to the studio. Children can sit at the office table, entertained by an iPad, where Mom or Dad can keep an eye on them as we exercise.
I’ve trained women, men, and children. I’ve trained many kinds of clients, from athletic and fit to those with injuries and metabolic limitations.
- I’m passionate about learning. I pursue continuing education in exercise science and nutrition. I believe solutions may be different for different people and at different times, so I investigate what’s new and base my training on peer-reviewed science.
I’ve experienced being obese and the discomfort and embarrassment it can cause. I’ve rebuilt my body after an emergency Cesarean birth with a follow-up surgery, a second Caesarean birth, knee and shoulder injuries, and ACL replacement surgery. I know our bodies sometimes betray us, but I also know they can heal and grow strong with consistent effort.
Supervision and Development of Children
In addition to training adults, I love working with children. I’ve had a great deal of experience supervising and teaching individuals and both small and large groups of children.
I’ve worked with K-6 youth as a paraeducator in the Iowa City schools, provided work-outs for Family Fun Nights, trained and offered Les Mills BORN TO MOVE™ (3-16 year olds) classes, trained coed and girls’ soccer teams in my studio, and provided a year-long gym class (Fit Kids) for the Iowa City Home School Assistance Program kids. I’m also authorized by the state of Iowa to substitute teach in K-12 classrooms.
Associations & Memberships:
- American Mensa
- American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM)
- American Council on Exercise (ACE)
- IDEA Health and Fitness Association
- University of South Florida Alumni Association
- American Red Cross
- DeGowin Blood Center, University of Iowa
- Iowa City Community Schools
- National MS Society
- Planned Parenthood