I was obese and rebuilt my body after an emergency Cesarean birth, follow-up surgery, a second Caesarean birth, chronic knee and shoulder injuries, ACL replacement surgery, and all while struggling with advanced osteoarthritis in both feet and the pain and risks that come with EDS hypermobility syndrome. I know our bodies sometimes betray us, but I also know they can heal and grow strong with consistent effort. As we age, we lose muscle — not because we are aging, but because we stop moving. Change your lifestyle and you change your future!
I have two quotes that keep me on track:
- Don’t let the perfect be the enemy of the good
- Slow and steady wins the race
My Fitness Journey
I worked as a programmer and author for nearly fifteen years. I sat a desk 8-10 hours a day gaining weight and an unbalanced body. When I had my first child, I gained A LOT of weight.
I tried diets, from Atkins to vegan through my 20s and 30s. I walked and started back playing racquetball in my 40s. But I missed the ease of running up a flight of stairs or shooting hoops in my driveway. I wanted to bike and swim laps in my pool without hurting. I didn’t think I could afford a personal trainer, but I needed someone to help make sense of all the conflicting information out there and keep me accountable.
What I finally realized is no matter what, I would NOT be a fat mom who couldn’t play with my children and even risked heart disease and diabetes and not seeing them grow up.
I hired a personal trainer — Shannon Price, my “fitness guru” — and spent two years losing weight and getting strong. I learned a lot about the fitness and diet industries, as well as about myself. Through a lifestyle change that included regular strength training, conditioning, and Paleo principles, I got fit. Now, I’m over 50 and stronger, more energetic, and leaner than I’ve ever been. My fitness journey isn’t over. I continually research, re-certify, and adjust not just my clients’ training and diet but my own, as well.
I couldn’t go back to a desk after losing 80 pounds and getting strong. I was excited to share what I had learned, so I certified as a personal trainer, and several years later, I opened New Moon Fitness, the first boutique fitness studio in the Coralville area. From my own experience, I knew clients wanted privacy, expert guidance, exercise variety, quality equipment, and a welcoming place for their younger kids who come with them. That’s why I started NMF and why we’re still serving the Coralville area all these years later.
TERESA HEITMAN, ACE-CPT
- Connect with Teresa on Linkedin
- Personal Trainer certified through the American Council on Exercise (ACE) 2013-2021
- BioForce Certified Conditioning Coach since 2017
- Therapeutic Exercise Specialist (ACE) since 2014
- Primal Health Coach Certification (Primal Blueprint) since 2016
- Primal Blueprint Certification (Primal Blueprint) since 2016
- Substitute Authorization K-12, State of Iowa 2015-2018
- Adult and Pediatric CPR/AED certification through the American Red Cross since 2011
- Adult and Pediatric First Aid certification through the American Red Cross since 2016
- Personal Trainer certified through the Aerobics and Fitness Association of America (AFAA) 2011-2015
- Opened New Moon Fitness in January 2013 with Shannon Price
- Teresa was the first active certified LES MILLS GRIT™ coach in Iowa, instructing the HIIT programs featuring Cardio, Plyometrics, and Strength-based workout
- Les Mills Born to Move™ certified 2013
- Les Mills GRIT™ certified 2012
Phone & Text: 319-325-4000
Small Group Training
Primal/Paleo Lifestyle Coaching (WOMANSTRONG)
Associations & Memberships:
- American Mensa
- American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM)
- American Council on Exercise (ACE)
- IDEA Health and Fitness Association
- University of South Florida Alumni Association
- American Red Cross
- DeGowin Blood Center, University of Iowa
- Iowa City Community Schools
- National MS Society
- Planned Parenthood